The bannetons made of wood pulp are even better suited for private individuals (home bakers). This is explained as follows:
- pulp has ability of heat absorption which is needed as most homebakers do not have a proofing cabinet
- sticking of dough is much less compared to cane due to much more plane pulp - surface
- better moisture absorption by the banneton (giving it back to the doughg as needed) improves the dough rising.
- easier cleaning.
Usage manual for wood pulp and cane bannetons
The bannetons are only to be used for the fermentation of the dough and for forming the bread loaves.
Never put them in the oven when baking the bread. It's possible that they catch fire when getting to hot.
Before using the bannetons please clean them by patting the remaining flour and dried dough out of it.
After this please dust the bannetons with flour before using them.
Now put the dough-loaf in and let it rise for the time needed.
Before storing please let bannetons dry. Never pile used and still moisty bannetons one into another to prevent mould.
Please clean the bannetons regularly. Each 4 to 12 weeks (depends on usage) you should brush the bannetons with a hard brush.
If possible put the bannetons in the oven with a temperature of about 130 degrees celsius (about 260 degrees Fahrenheit) for about 45 minutes to dry them thoroughly. This procedure kills all kinds of germ and prevents growing of mould.
The dried flour and dough is much easier to brush off afterwards. For cleaning the bannetons in industrial usage we offer a special brush head that can be mounted on a spindle.
Bannetons and mold growth
You can prevent growing of mould by
- regularly cleaning with a hard brush, remove layers of dough from surface of banneton.
- not tucking the damp bannetons together for storage, put them separately for effective drying
- heating the bannetons to 130 deg celsius (260 deg Fahrenheit) for about 45 minutes in the oven (after 4-12 weeks of usage)
- If you use the bannetons in a bakery or baking company its best to install an ultraviolet lamp in your fermentation chamber. Put the bannetons on the wagon and into the (heating switched off) chamber overnight. So you can kill germ, mold and vermin (bugs).